If you’ve neglected your garden for a while or have just bought or inherited a house where the garden needs a lot of TLC then what lies in store is a project that will keep you occupied for many a week to come!
Your first reaction might be a fairly dramatic one i.e. get a skip and level the garden completely! Our advice is to take stock of the situation and take on the project in bite size chunks. There will probably be elements to the garden that are definitely worth saving and nurturing so read on for a bit of practical advice about how you can start the transformation:
1. Start with any fences or walls that you may have. If they are in need of repair or replacement then make that a priority. Brick walls in particular might need your attention, especially if they are worse for wear and on the verge of collapse. Get some professional advice to make sure your brick walls are safe and fit for purpose and repair or replace any wooden fences that you have.
2. Check out any hedges. If they’ve gone brown by the roots then the chances are they will never be revived so your best option is to remove them. If the hedge is still ok then prune it back.
3. Evaluate the quality of your patio or any paths and steps that you may have. The temptation might be to rip them out but if the condition is still OK then a good jet wash and scrub could make a huge difference and save you a lot of money.
4. What kind of trees have you got? If they are seriously overgrown then you might want to call in a tree surgeon to cut them back or remove them completely. If you live in a conservation area get some advice first because they may be covered by a tree preservation order. Remember trees are great for privacy and providing shade so don’t be too hasty to remove them. At the end of the day your trees might give your garden the kind of balance that it needs.
5. Remove weeds, prune back shrubs and check out the state of your perennials. If the latter is looking worse for wear then remove the dead centre and replant the healthy bits. This will breathe some new life into your perennials and should help revive them.
6. Check out the state of your lawn. The grass is no doubt overgrown so it makes sense to start with the trimmer first before you move onto the lawnmower. Set the blades on your lawnmower to the highest cut and then plough on. Usually the lawn mowing will uncover a multitude of sins such as moss, bald patches, holes, roots etc. You may decide that you want to re-turf at this stage!
All of the above will take tine, patience and not to mention quite a bit of hard graft. When you are faced with a project like this then you have to be realistic about the amount of time you can devote to it and your skills to do the job. This is where Gardenbusters come in! We have many years
experience in transforming neglected gardens so if you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed then we would be happy to help. Please get in touch and discuss your requirements.
After all the storms and floods which have battered our Islands it can sometimes be hard to believe that Spring is just around the corner. However, if you look closely, you can see those early daffodil shoots starting to appear in the hedgerows so we know that time is creeping on.
With the weather being so volatile recently many of us have not had the opportunity to spend time in our gardens and see the full extent of any damage that may have been done. Hopefully the worst of the storms are over now so it’s time to be brave and venture out there!
Now is a good time to think of getting your garden ready for Spring and making sure that you don’t leave it all to the last minute.
Garden preparation tips
Here are a few tips on what you should be doing to gear up for the season:
- – Prune the roses, peonies, hydrangeas and lavender. If you are unsure what you should be pruning at this time of year then check with your local garden centre.
- – Order summer-flowering bulbs and seeds. These need to be planted in early spring to give you summer colour.
- – Tidy up your flower beds and borders. Get rid of leaves and any other debris that may have accumulated. After all the storms and heavy rain we have been having you are sure to find all sorts of debris in amongst your flowers and plants so give them a thorough tidy.
- – Cut back the dead growth on deciduous grasses and herbaceous perennials.
- – Check your garden over for pests like slugs, snails and aphids and remove them so that they don’t become a nuisance later.
- – Do those jobs that you hate doing such as cleaning your garden tools and fixing fences, gates etc. Working with dirty garden tools can actually spread bacteria and fungi to your new plants so it’s definitely worth doing.
- – Think about creating a compost area in your garden. This will give you somewhere to put your garden waste and will also provide you with great compost for your plants at a later date when it all starts to break down.
- – If you’ve got a greenhouse then give it a thorough ‘Spring Clean’. This will give you somewhere safe and disease-free to keep your trays of seedlings and cuttings.
- – Consider installing water butts in your garden to capture rainfall. Rainfall is better than normal tap water for watering your flowers and plants because it is less alkaline. You will be doing your plants a service as well as the planet!
So there’s plenty to be getting on with. What are you waiting for? Get out there and enjoy!
With the recent spate of stormy weather that has hit the UK it seems timely to write a few tips about how to look after your garden in stormy weather. With the rest of January, February and March to get through before hopefully April brings more spring-like weather there is still plenty of time for more storms to hit our shores so it pays to have a game plan.
Here are a few tips to keep your garden in shape in the event of storms:
* Put all garden furniture in a shed and make sure items such as wind chimes, bird feeders, bins etc are put in a secure place. If you don’t have a shed then put them where they can get a bit of shelter from the winds, maybe at the side of the house
* Bring pot plants and hanging baskets indoors
* Check your drains and guttering for leaves and clear them. Too many leaves could cause your patio to flood
* Check your trees for loose branches and remove them before the wind does!
* Protect new seeds and plants by covering them with some strong plastic covering that is secured well to the ground.
* For plants that look vulnerable lay some extra soil to the base and help protect the roots
Garden maintenance after the storm
Once the storm is over it’s time to inspect the damage. It makes sense to wait until the soil has dried out first and then you can see what needs doing. If one of your plants looks like it has taken a bit of a battering and seems unlikely to recover then check it over completely and see if you can take a cutting from one of the healthier looking stems and hopefully you will be able to grow it again.
Give it a week after the storm before you launch into a big pruning exercise. After a week it will be easier to see which plants are the most damaged and you can cut away the dead material. Some of your plants might need propping up by stakes to make them stable again and you will probably have to lay some more soil on plants where roots have become exposed.
Check your trees again and make sure that any branches that have become damaged are removed and then keep checking the weather forecasts and wait for the next storm to roll in!
At Garden Busters we have many years experience in garden maintenance before and after storms, snow, floods etc so if you need any advice please get in touch.
Running a business is definitely not easy, to say the least. The main reason for this is because of the sheer amount of factors that need to be taken into consideration in order to make your business a success. However, something that a lot of business owners fail to take into consideration is the importance of ground maintenance. There are a number of reasons for this. Here are just a few of the reasons as to why regular grounds maintenance is so important in the business world:
One of the key factors in running a successful business is projecting the right image. Whilst most business owners will make sure that the inside of their premises are clean and tidy, most of them neglect the grounds of their business. However, if you want to make sure that your business is a success, then you are going to need to make sure that regular grounds maintenance is undertaken.
What a lot of business owners don’t think about is the fact that the grounds of their premises have so many different uses, especially in terms of PR. For example, you could hold events that showcase what it is that you have to offer as a business, and what it is that makes you stand out from your competitors. However, in order to be able to do this, you are going to need to make sure that regular grounds maintenance is carried out, so that you can ensure the safety of your visitors, as well as make sure that you are making the most of the space that you have available.
This is, by far, the most important reason for having regular grounds maintenance carried out. You need to make sure that there is nothing that your customers and clients can injure themselves on. This means that there is no rubbish lying around, no loose paving, and no slippery surfaces. By having regular grounds work carried out, you can make sure that you don’t have to worry about the safety of staff and visitors.
As you can see, regular grounds maintenance really is important in the business world. There are many benefits that come with paying for a service like this, as well. If you think that your business could benefit from this type of service, then contact the team here at Garden Busters today. Our highly professional services are second to none.Contact us today to see how they can help.
It’s important to remember that the layout and growth of your landscape must be managed in order to keep your property looking good all year around. Here at Garden Busters, we have a multitude of experience and expertise when it comes to trees and the landscape.
With summer just around the corner, now is the perfect time to call in the professionals. As specialist tree surgeons, we offer only the highest level of workmanship and servicing, taking the upmost pride in every one of our projects – no matter how big or small.
Domestic & Commercial Tree Services
Serving Solihull, Edgbaston and the surrounding Birmingham areas, our teams are trained in a number of tree fellingand landscape management services that will help transform the look of your landscape.
We use only the most effective, efficient and, above all, safest procedures around to ensure that nothing is left to chance. So whether you’re in need of one-off tree felling services, regular pruning or maintenance services or stump and site clearance, we will be able to provide a bespoke and personable solution that simply cannot be matched.
Experienced Tree Surgeons
All of our employees and experts are dedicated to going the extra mile for our customers, which is but one of the many reasons as to why we are the first choice for many in the Midlands. Operating domestically and commercially, make use you call us today to arrange a free consultation and quotation.
We are ready to answer any questions and enquiry’s you may have, as well as offer advice and guidance where necessary. Call us today on 08000 35 11 33 or contact us online here.
It’s not often that trees make the headlines. In recent weeks however, the media spotlight has been shining its bright light on our trees due to an outbreak of the harmful fungal disease, Ash Dieback, which is proven fatal to trees.
As the leading name in professional and effective tree surgery services in the West Midlands, we here at Garden Busters, are understandably concerned with these recent developments. Our experience and expertise of arboriculture means that we can cater for a whole host of tree surgery and landscaping needs.
With a number of positive samples confirmed in the Welsh regions, local nurseries and countryside officials are on red alert to try to contain the infection. Access to woodland areas and footpaths is permitted as there poses no risk to humans or animals, but the same can’t be said for our botanical friends.
Caused by the fungus Chalara fraxinea, this isn’t the first reporting of Ash dieback as it was identified in 2006 with a real note of confusion as to its origins and symptoms. The National Resources Wales (NRW) has announced that it is just a matter of time before the fungus spreads to wider areas.
Advice & Information
A number of seminars have been set up to advise and guide landowners, tree planters and landscapers on how to deal with the fungal spores and the NRW are continuing to carry out sweep surveys. The fact that Ash dieback spreads through airborne spores really does highlight the seriousness of the infection.
Whilst developments are continual, there are things you can look out for when surveying the health of your trees and plants. For any information, be sure to give our tree surgeons and landscapers a call today on 08000 35 11 33 or contact us online here.
With the bitter cold and dreary skies seemingly making way for the blossom of summer sunshine and blue skies, now is the perfect time enhance your garden and landscape. The winter months will have been hard on your garden so why not revitalise it by calling in the professionals.
Here at Garden Busters, we are the first name when it comes to supplying garden and ground maintenance services to the West Midlands areas. Serving Solihull, Birmingham and the surrounding areas, we have developed only the most effective and efficient domestic and commercial landscaping services.
Call In The Professionals
Our experience and knowledge allows us to take on a number of projects and our specialist tree felling and tree surgery expertise means that we transform the look and feel of your property. From turfing to fencing to complete refurbishments and renovations, we are more than capable of satisfying your needs.
Our teams will take the time to come to evaluate and assess your property before any work is carried out. This allows us to make an accurate and competitive quotation that will encompass every aspect of your landscaping project.
Specialist Tree Surgeons & Landscape Experts
Whether you need regular grounds and garden maintenance or one-off work, we offer a service that is tailored to you and your specific landscaping needs. We have a great resource of expertise and equipment to ensure that your projects are carried out with the upmost efficiency and professionalism.
For more information on any of our tree surgery or landscaping services, be sure to give us a call today on 08000 35 11 33 or contact us online here, and we will get back to you.
Whilst not the first thought on an employer’s agenda, people can underestimate the important role that your grounds and surrounding landscape plays in the image of your business. An untidy and overgrown landscape will not only give off the wrong impression, but can quickly become a health hazard.
Here at Garden Busters, we pride ourselves not only on the high quality of our specialist landscape skillset but also the endearing and bespoke customer service we offer. Complimented by a service that is tailored to your needs, it’s no surprise we are the first choice for many in Bristol, Milton Keynes and Birmingham.
Whether you’re in need of commercial weed control, grass cutting and general maintenance or specialist tree surgery, our experience and expertise is at your disposal. As part of The Busters Group, our customers receive great peace of mind in the quality of our service.
We take pride in the jobs that we carry out. We understand just how important our services are to enhancing the image and reputation of your business. Our team of experts are on hand to assess, evaluate and enhance your business with only the most distinguished and reputable grounds maintenance services.
But what really stands us out against the rest of the competition is the fact that we tailor our services around you and your business’s needs. With the ability to work around you, we will be able to carry out your requirements as well as offer our honest and expert advice.
We look to optimise your outdoor space and create a landscape that mirrors the professional and relevant image that your business deserves. Employees, clients and competition will stand back and take notice.
So with 2013 such an important year in the business world, see how we can help you and your business by arranging a free consultation with our experts by calling 08000 35 1133.
Gardeners are an intriguing and passionate breed. The care and attention to detail they show, not forgetting their commitment to tending and preparing their gardens whatever the weather is something that must be applauded. Whilst the freezing and gloomy winter months have prevented many gardeners from exercising their green fingers, the prospect of spring’s glorious blossom has many gardeners excited.
Here at Garden Busters, we share this passion and commitment to protecting, preserving and maintaining your gardens and landscapes. Our specialist garden maintenance and tree surgery services see us operate extensively throughout Birmingham and the surrounding Midlands areas.
Whether you ‘re looking to enhance the look of your outdoor space, require regular and reputable garden maintenance or are in need of an established company for a one-off landscape project, we are the only place to look. With an array of services at our disposal, our experienced gardeners and tree surgeons will ensure that your garden maintenance needs are met and exceeded.
So with springs bloom a matter of weeks away…
What Can You Do To Prepare Your Garden?
1. Repair & Replace
The winter winds may have caused some damage to your fencing, raised bedding boards and trellises. Bowed, broken or leaning panels and posts should be repaired or replaced now whilst your shrubbery and plants are not growing at their usual rate. Support any fixtures with stakes if needed.
2. Prepare Your Lawn
You may have forgotten what your lawn looks like, let alone the last time it was mowed before winter. Be sure to clear off any winter debris, leaves and dead growth and rake any bare spots before seeding. The sprinkle of grass seeds must be watered until new grass appears.
3. Prune & Trim
Dead branches, thick foliage and cluttered shrubs should be pruned back in order to create space for new growth. Whilst they may look bare now, come the blossom of spring, your trees and shrubs will have space to grow in all their glory.
For more information on our professional garden maintenance services, be sure to give us, here at Garden Busters, a call on 08000 35 11 33.
The winter weather can be an unforgiving and harsh proprietor when it comes to condition of your garden and natural surroundings. If untreated and uncared for, your grounds can quickly become reminiscent of a jungle.
At the workplace, this can prove an unsightly and unimpressionable affair to potential customers, your own employees as well as your internal management. So with the New Year fast approaching, why not start the New Year afresh with a full-furnished garden service from us here at Garden busters.
Specialising in tree surgery, commercial weed spraying and grounds maintenance in Solihull, Edgbaston, Birmingham and the surrounding West Midlands areas, Garden Busters are company you can trust. Our experienced and fully trained gardeners and landscapers have a multitude of skills across all aspects of garden and grounds maintenance ensuring that your workplace grabs attention for the right reasons.
Certified Arborists, we are able to safely and efficiently perform the pruning or removal of trees to let in much-needed light or prevent injury using our tested methods. Safety is our main priority which is why we have a number of procedures in place to ensure that the surrounds we work in are hazard free.
Grounds maintenance really is our forte. From grass cutting to weed spraying to pruning and planting, we will be able to transform the exterior appearance of your workplace. Our continual work will ensure that your grounds do not become overgrown and overlooked.
With appearance a key feature of our work, we are also able to remove and clear your site of all waste. Our full Waste Transfer Licence Approved certification means you can have peace of mind that your rubbish is disposed of properly and efficiently.
For more information and a look our full range of extensive services, check out our website or call us free on 08000 35 11 33 today.